About us: Our history
A Lutheran-affiliated acute care facility
Health care in Astoria, Ore. has grown substantially since the region’s first hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, opened in 1880. St. Mary’s Hospital as the region’s only hospital until the early 1900s.
In 1919, Astoria's Finnish community began a second facility, Columbia Hospital. The Augustana synod of the Lutheran Church took over the project and solicited funds from congregations in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Columbia Hospital opened to assist its first patients in 1927.
In 1971, the St. Mary’s Hospital facility was purchased by Columbia Hospital. In the mid-'70s, the hospital trustees approved a new site and plan, and Columbia Memorial Hospital, now located at 2111 Exchange St., opened in 1977.
Columbia Memorial Hospital, a JCAHO accredited hospital, serves all of Clatsop County, Ore. and the lower Columbia River region of western Washington. Columbia Memorial Hospital is led by a 14-member board of trustees. They volunteer their time and expertise to improving our community hospital. The CMH Board of Trustees meets once a month.
Due to the expanding population and need for more health care services in this area, the board of trustees has announced its intention to expand Columbia Memorial into a regional medical center.
CMH continues to be a not-for-profit hospital that serves the health care needs of the community. CMH receives no tax support from the city of Astoria or Clatsop County.
Dedicated to improving the health of the community, CMH invests all excess revenues in services, equipment and facilities that further its mission. One finished example of that dedication to investing in new services, equipment and facilities is the new CMH Health and Wellness Pavilion. We’re also in the middle of construction to expand and renovate our Surgery Services Department, part of our continuing effort to provide the highest quality health care available. Included in this project is a new, state-of-the-art, outpatient endoscopy center that will provide a more comfortable, private patient experience. Our three existing operating rooms will be renovated and equipped with the latest technology.
To make room for the expansion, a three-story, mixed-use office building is being constructed to house several existing departments.
Back to top.