The CMH Family Birthing Center offers 24-hour-a-day staffing by specially trained maternity nurses. Reached through the East entrance of the hospital, the unit has four comfortable birthing suites that accommodate patients throughout delivery, labor, postpartum and recovery. The Family Birthing Center also offers an exam/triage room and an OB surgical suite.
The unit offers:
- The skilled nursing staff is ready to provide for many special needs for infant or mother. They are also trained in stabilization, if more acute care is required.
- Our birthing suites can accommodate families through the birthing process.
- Baby stays with mother at all times unless mother has a special request for the nurses to watch the baby for a short period of time.
- Mother and baby are not moved from the birthing suite unless volumes are high and demand for a birthing room dictates a move to one of our other hospital rooms.
- The father or a support person may sleep in the room with mother and baby.
- We offer childbirth education classes, tours of our Birthing Center and referrals to care providers.
- CMH is designated by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners for our use of certified lactation consultants (IBCLC).
- Certified lactation consults are available on site weekdays for inpatients and outpatients. Read more about the standards our certified lactation consultants have met.
- Jacuzzi tub for laboring patients, birthing balls and squat bars.
All staff nurses are trained in neonatal resuscitation protocol and stabilization of neonates. A rapid response team of specialists in Portland is available for any high-risk situation for mother or baby. Life Flight or ambulance services may be utilized, depending on the need of the patient.
"Columbia Memorial Hospital has received the IBCLC Care Award in recognition for staffing International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) and providing a lactation program that is available 5 days a week for breastfeeding families. In addition, the facility demonstrated that they have provided recent breastfeeding training for medical staff that care for new families, and have recently completed activities that help protect, promote, and support breastfeeding."
Our Family Birthing Center is open 24 hours a day. Support persons and immediate family members are welcome at any time. At the request of the parents, visitors are welcome at any time. Visitors coming to the hospital between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. should come to the Emergency entrance and request to see patients in the Family Birthing Center.
The CMH Family Birthing Center is located at the main campus, accessible via the East entrance. To schedule an appointment, call 503-325-4321, ext. 3430.
Back to top.