CMH Birthing Center
The CMH Birthing Center offers 24-hour-a-day staffing by specially trained maternity nurses. Reached through the East entrance of the hospital, the unit has four homelike birthing suites that accommodate patients throughout delivery, labor, postpartum and recovery. The Birthing Center also offers an exam/triage room and an OB surgical suite with post-operative recovery room and a nursery.
The unit offers:
- A labor and delivery area serving patients for conditions, such as suspected labor and illness during pregnancy. It's also used for assessing high-risk issues or labor and some outpatient procedures.
- The skilled nursing staff is ready to provide for many special needs for infant or mother. They are also trained in stabilization, if more acute care is required.
- Our birthing suites can accommodate families through the birthing process.
- Baby stays with mother at all times unless mother has a special request for the nurses to watch the baby for a short period of time.
- Mother and baby are not moved from the birthing suite unless volumes are high and demand for a birthing room dictates a move to one of our private post partum rooms.
- The father or a support person may sleep in the room with mother and baby.
- We offer childbirth education classes, tours of our Birthing Center and referrals to care providers.
- CMH is the only hospital in our area designated by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners for our use of certified lactation consultants (IBCLC).
- Certified lactation consults are available on site five days each week and by phone seven days a week for inpatients and outpatients. Click here to learn more about IBCLC.
- Jacuzzi tub for laboring patients, birthing balls and squat bars.
Nurses are available by phone at any time to answer questions and provide reassurance. All staff nurses are trained in neonatal resuscitation protocol and stabilization of neonates. A rapid response team of specialists in Portland is available for any high-risk situation for mother or baby. Life Flight or ambulance services may be utilized, depending on the need of the patient.
Our Birthing Center is open 24 hours a day. Support persons and immediate family members are welcome at any time. At the request of the parents, visitors are welcome at any time. Visitors coming to the hospital between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. should come to the Emergency entrance and request to see patients in the Birthing Center.
For additional information or to request an after-hours test, call 503-325-4321, ext. 3456.
It is important that your provider know what medications you are taking. Please click here and download a copy of our Medication Information Form. Fill it out and bring a copy with you when visiting any health care provider. It is a good idea to make copies of the completed form and carry one with you at all times.
Maternity Services is located at the main campus, accessible via the East entrance. To schedule an appointment, call 503-325-4321, ext. 3430.
Back to top.