Skip to main content

Caregiver Resources

This webpage is just for CMH caregivers. It's a place where we can share information and resources to to help us care for our community, while keeping ourselves and others safe and managing some of the disruption that may be happening in our personal lives.

Masks/face coverings continue to be required at CMH for patients, caregivers and any visitors until notified otherwise.

Regular EOC updates

See the latest COVID-19 caregiver updates from CMH.

Employee health and vaccination

Employee Health: 503.338.4632 or ext. 71701

Employee Health RN on-call: 971.601.0412

If you are sick

  1. Call your supervisor or manager. You will be asked to report your symptoms and when they started.
  2. You must call the Employee Health nurse between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. (971.601.0412) if you have any of these symptoms.
  3. Employee Health will tell you when you are clear to return to work.
  4. Please let your manager know when you've been cleared to return to work.

If you think you've been exposed to a COVID-19-positive person

If you learn that you've been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, follow the steps below. Being exposed means that you were within 6 feet of the person for 15 minutes or more, and you were unmasked.

  1. Do not report to work. Call your supervisor or manager immediately.
  2. Call Employee Health between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. (971.601.0412) for further evaluation.

These are the algorithms Employee Health uses to decide when caregivers are safe to return to work:

Q. I don’t feel well. When should I stay home? And when should I return?

A: If you've had any COVID-19 symptoms, you have to be fever-free (less than 100F) for more than 24 hours, have significant improvement of symptoms and have a negative COVID-19 test in order to return to work.

Q. If I have been exposed to COVID-19, what do I do to protect my family and friends?

A: This will vary, depending on your vaccination status. You must contact Employee Health. To keep your friends and family safe, we recommend you follow the CDC's quarantine guidelines.

Q. I believe I have been exposed to COVID-19 at work. What’s next?

A: If you feel like you've been exposed at work, contact your manager. Infection Prevention will do an investigation to see if you meet exposure criteria. If it's been determined that you have been exposed, Human Resources will contact you. Each employee will be evaluated to determine whether work restriction is required.

HR and operations

Operational changes

  • Interpretation: At this time, CMH has decided to suspend all in-person interpretation. We will continue to use remote video interpreting when translation needs arise. Please remember to remind each other of this when scheduling appointments.
  • Central Supply: Central Supply has made several changes to maintain accurate inventory counts, to keep PPE secure, to reduce potential risks of incoming goods and to maintain social distancing. Read more.
  • Some clinics and services have suspended operations or changed their hours. Check the the clinic/service webpage for hours.
  • Dock time questions answered (current as of 04/10/20).
  • Changes to HSAs/FSAs Due to CARES Act (current as of 04/16/20).

Q. What is "dock" and why am I being asked to use it?

A: Dock is a term CMH utilizes when our scheduled caregivers are asked not to work or are sent home because of low patient census or a lack of work. Caregivers on dock are not expected to remain available to CMH. Dock time is unpaid time, however, that dock time will count as hours worked for purposes of benefit eligibility, seniority, and Earned Leave accrual. Dock time is entered in UKG, and caregivers may utilize available Earned Leave in lieu of unpaid time if they so choose.

Q. My spouse lost their insurance coverage through their employer; may I add them to our plan?

A: Yes, as long as the loss of coverage is within 30 days, and you have proof of the loss. CMH has also been asked to remind our caregivers if you have had a change in your employment, you may qualify for health coverage through the Oregon Health Plan (OHP). OHP is our state's Medicaid program, offering free health care to anyone who qualifies. Eligibility for the OHP is based on monthly income and other requirements. That means you may qualify for OHP now, even if you have been denied in the past. The best way to see if you qualify is to apply. Visit for more information.

Q. What happens if I don’t have enough earned leave (EL) to pay for my payroll deductions?

A: We will ask that you discuss your options with Payroll. There are some deductions that you have the option to repay or will need to pay the vendor directly as we do not pay on your behalf. Please refer your questions to

Q. What if I have other questions about my benefits?

A: Be sure to call Human Resources at 503.338.4073 or email

Q. Am I entitled to an accommodation under the ADA in order to avoid exposing a family member who is at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 due to an underlying medical condition?

A: No. The ADA does not require that an employer accommodate an employee without a disability based on the disability-related needs of a family member or other person with whom he/she is associated.

Q. What other financial options are available to me as a CMH caregiver?


  • During the majority of 2020, CMH has allowed our caregivers to donate earned leave (EL) to other caregivers for any reason. This will continue into 2021 and until further notice. You can find the donated leave form by clicking on the attachments in Leave Policy 8650-700.
  • The CMH COVID Financial Support Program provides financial assistance to our caregivers impacted by this pandemic, even if they have not missed any work time.

Additional resources

PPE/protecting yourself

Required training

All CMH caregivers must complete OSHA-required safety training for COVID-19. Check your LMS for a list of the training modules you must complete. These are the current modules:

PPE instructions and information

Clinical resources

Clinical care algorithms

Forms for patients being tested for COVID-19

Please ask each patient being tested for COVID-19 (or their guardian) to fill out this form:

Nasopharyngeal swab collection

Source: CDC


  • Sterile Dacron/nylon swab.
  • Viral transport media tube (should contain 1-3 ML of sterile viral transport medium).


  1. Lower patient’s mask below nose only.
  2. Ensure staff performing procedure are wearing basic face mask and eyewear.
  3. Tilt patient’s head back 70 degrees.
  4. Insert swab into nostril. (Swab should reach depth equal to distance from nostrils to outer opening of the ear.) Leave swab in place for several seconds to absorb secretions.
  5. Slowly remove swab while rotating it. (Swab both nostrils with same swab.)
  6. Place tip of swab into sterile viral transport media tube and snap/cut off the applicator stick

COVID-19 vaccines

Vaccinations for CMH caregivers

Contact Employee Health to get vaccinated or receive a vaccine booster.

We have tremendous confidence in the vaccines' efficacy and will be happy to answer any questions you may have. According to a new State of Oregon rule, all health care workers must be fully vaccinated by Oct. 18, 2021, unless they have an approved religious or medical exception.


mRNA vaccines and vaccine development

Lead the way

CMH and community resources

Emotional support

We hear you! Thank you for allowing our clinical social work team to support you all during this very challenging time. We appreciate the work every CMH caregiver does to support our community, and we want to continue to help support you. Our social workers are great listeners and often have good resource suggestions!

Call us seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 971.286.0084.


Do you need financial assistance?

The COVID-19 Caregiver Support fund helps employees experiencing a personal financial crisis who have exhausted all other avenues of assistance. Read More.

Financial support

Babysitting or child care

If you're looking for child care in Clatsop County, the NW Regional Child Care Resource and Referral program has compiled a list of early learning programs in the county.

The Oregon Department of Education's early learning website has information about health and safety guidelines for childcare providers and resources for people looking for child care.

The county has arranged child care specifically for health care workers, first responders and other essential workers. This can be for regular child care needs or it can be emergent, day-to-day needs that come up. They have asked that people let them know of any potential for emergent need, so they can be ready if needed.

  • Little Sprouts (Astoria): Infant/toddler and school aged children $$ Available for a cost, wait list 503.325.8669,
  • Warrior Care/Warrenton Prep (Warrenton): Children must be potty trained $$ Available for a cost, wait list 503.861.2281.
  • Seaside School District (Seaside): Children ages 6-12 years old No Cost – available free
  • Learning Ladder Sunset Empire (Seaside): Infant to preschool aged children $$ Available for a cost 503.738.3311 ext. 125.

If you're still looking for child care options, you can also call 211 as a resource. Please remember, child care facilities are currently legally required to prioritize essential health care workers.

Help paying for child care

If you're looking for help paying for child care, you may qualify for Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) subsidies from the State of Oregon. The State of Oregon has expanded eligibility and removed copay requirements for Employment Related Day Care (EDRC), which helps families pay for child care while they're working. Review the revised eligibility and application information to see if you qualify and how to apply.

You may also find some relief with one of these family support programs.

Phone resources

  • Oregon Information Hotline: 211; 24/7.
  • Washington Information Hotline: 800.525.0127, press #; 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
  • Clatsop County Public Health Information Line: 503.325.8500 ext. 4921 (English); 503.325.8500, ext. 4925 (Spanish); Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.
  • Pacific County Emergency Operations Center Call Center: 360.875.9407 or 360.642.9407; Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.